At the end of last month I posted about the Pantene #shinestrong blogger trial and after using these products for just under a month I’m here to share my opinion on the Aqua Light shampoo and conditioner that they sent me to try out. In case you missed that post you might be interested to know that Pantene has undergone a re-packaging and re-launch of their products. Their shampoos now contain a world-first damage blocker – after 10 years of research and development Pantene’s new revolutionary formula contains anti-oxidant ‘Damage Blockers’ that actively target, capture and neutralize the minerals found in tap water. Yes, you read that correctly. I was always under the impression that heat styling tools, excessive brushing and chemical hair treatments were the only things that we needed to worry about when it came to maintaining lovely locks, but now we also have to agonize over minerals in tap water. These minerals cause hair strands to become brittle and in turn makes your hair more prone to breakage. Okay, but we can’t all afford to bathe in milk and wash our tresses in Evian water so that’s why Pantene’s Pro-V formula works for you by preventing damage caused by daily washing.
I’ve been using the Pantene Pro-V Aqua Light duo which reinforces fine hair along each strand. It’s also supposed to nourish your hair as well as leave your fine hair feeling weightless. I don’t do an awful lot of stuff to my hair. I don’t colour it (although I need to after spotting a few more greys recently) and I only use heat tools on my mop once or twice a fortnight. However, I probably use more products than anything else considering the fact that I’m a beauty blogger and constantly trying out new shampoos, hair oils, masks and all that jazz. My main hair issue is actually hair loss. I’ve also always had fine hair but since my hair starting falling (about 5-6 years ago) I’ve noticed that my already fine hair has become even finer. It falls flat and lifeless right after styling and most products cause buildup and weigh down my hair. However, after trying out the Pantene Aqua Light range I’ve noticed a few things about my hair. Some good and some not so good. This is an open trial and as always I will share my honest experience with you. Yes, I’m being paid to be part of this campaign but Pantene was very clear that I don’t have to rave about their products even if I hated them.
My final thoughts
I’m going to break this down into points to make it easier to write and easier for you to read. Some I might have mentioned in my previous post, some are positive and some are negative.
- The Pro-V AquaLight shampoo is silicone and paraben-free. Good job, Pantene!
- This shampoo and conditioner smell absolutely amazing. Clean and fresh with a sprinkling of comfort.
- The Pantene Pro-V AquaLight shampoo thoroughly cleanses my hair. It leans more onto the clarifying shampoo side in my opinion.
- My hair has felt softer, looked healthier and shinier and been ‘bouncier’ since starting this trial.
- My hair doesn’t feel weighted down or greasy. I even find myself getting an extra day of ‘wear’ out of my hair.
- My hair has been more manageable and not as frizzy as it pretty much always is.
- I haven’t noticed a ton of volume or a fuller, thicker look to my hair. But I’m guessing the “Full & Thick” range might be better suited to that.
- The shampoo lathers up nicely, the conditioner combs through easily and both rinse out without leaving a residue.
- My hair feels more bouncy, weightless and ‘swishy’ – you know, that just stepped out the salon feeling.
- I can’t be 100% certain if these products are to blame but since I’ve been using this duo I’ve been experiencing a bit of dry scalp. It’s not itchy or red. It’s just a bit flaky. I’ll need to investigate this further though as this probably has more to do with my overall scalp health than with the products themselves.
I’m going to end off this post with a hair tip or two.
- Never ever brush your luscious locks while they are wet. Be sure to only use a wide-tooth comb/or a Tangle Teezer to detangle your hair. Gently start from the bottom and work your way up.
- You know that old saying “You are what you eat”? Well, that certainly rings true when it comes to the health of your hair. I used to eat so badly and only in the last few months have I actively started eating healthier. One of the first things I noticed was my hair. It definitely changed for the better.
Pantene Aqua Light Shampoo – R42.99 (250ml)
Pantene Aqua Light Conditioner – R42.99 (200ml)
Pantene Aqua Light Dual Phase Nourishing Spray – R66.99