Sitting on the edge of a crystal clear and sparkling, aquamarine pool surrounded by dim lights flickering like a burning candle I stared off into the legendary view of the city as the sun fell behind the horizon painting the sky with shades of red and orange. This moment of serenity as I sat mesmerised by the cityscape glittering below, is what I would describe as the highlight of my stay at the Radisson Blu Sandton. The rooftop pool on the 8th floor was unoccupied and quiet on this particular night and is, without a doubt, my favourite spot at the hotel.
This relaxing night away at Radisson Blu Sandton was booked through Accommodation Direct. If you’re looking for a hotel to stay at anywhere in South Africa, Botswana, Kenya, and Namibia then this is the booking website for you – all bookings are secure and they offer you quick and easy payment options.
The business-class room I spent the night in was aptly named – straightforward and practical. Nevertheless, the heart of any bedroom is, of course, the bed. When I step foot inside a hotel room it’s undoubtedly the first thing I assess (usually with a critical eye). After all, the bed is what you’ll be sinking into after a long and busy day. So, looking past the simplistic room offerings, I was delighted with the king-sized bed at the centre of my room – it looked as inviting as a hot cup of cocoa on a cold and rainy day.
Room with a View
On a business trip, after spending the day jumping from meeting to meeting, the thing you look forward to the most is a chance to sit back, unwind and be granted some sort of peace or reprieve. The Radisson Blu Sandton offers you this in abundance with their panoramic bedroom view. I fell asleep with the Sandton skyline, clear and studded with stars, and woke up at dawn with the rose-pink light of the sun gleaming over the sleepy city. The boastful glass window had good reason to brag – the spectacular view can be enjoyed from the casual chair or the comfort of your majestic bed. The Sunday morning sky soon turned dark and moody and was starkly juxtaposed with the safe and happy feelings I was experiencing snuggled under mounds of soft-as-down bedding. In this blissful moment, in my room, tucked away from the hubbub of the big city, I was in my own private sanctuary.
What do you look for in a hotel?
What amenities do you expect to find inside your room? At the top of most lists I would expect to find cleanliness. A room needs to be serviced with clean, laundered linen and a spotless bathroom. I will immediately mentally mark a room (up or down) based on my first impressions of these things. After a swift check-in at Radisson Blu Sandton and a smooth elevator ride to the 22nd floor, I was excited to find a fresh, white robe neatly folded at the bottom of my bed. This is where personal preferences come into play. I’m the type of person who arrives home and instantly strips down and slips into something a bit more comfortable, and in the case of a hotel visit, it’s a soft robe and slippers, and regardless of whether or not my stay is business or personal, this is essential. Am I the only one who is always tempted to take the bathrobe home with me?
5 reasons to choose Radisson Blu Sandton for your next business trip
1. Complimentary Wi-Fi access – It goes without saying that all hotels should offer complimentary Wi-Fi, especially if they are classified as a business hotel. As a hotel guest, you want to stay connected throughout your stay. Radisson Blu Sandton offers you free high-speed WiFi access in their rooms as well as in communal areas.
2. Coffee-making facilities, tea and water bottles – When working from your room, a good-quality cup of coffee is imperative. The Business class (and above) rooms are fitted with a Nespresso coffee machine and a generous selection of six coffee capsules. In comparison, I’ve stayed at other hotels in the Sandton area and they’ve only offered three capsules. Radisson Blu Sandton also supplies you with a single complimentary water bottle and as expected, a fully-stocked mini-bar containing both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
3. Food & drink – The Business class (and above) rooms provide you with a complimentary breakfast, which is available for you to enjoy as room service, or as a guest at the Vivace restaurant or in the business class lounge. The breakfast buffet offers you a delicious selection of food, with the choice of cold meats, cheeses, cereals, fruit, pastries, hot savory dishes and eggs prepared on request.
4. Business services – If you’re staying at the hotel for business reasons then chances are you’ll need to do work-related activities at the hotel. The Radisson Blu Sandton makes things unbelievably convenient for you. The hotel offers business services such as: fax/photocopying, meeting/banquet facilities, complimentary daily newspaper, access to the business class lounge and a work desk inside your room.
5. Hotel amenities – The Radisson Blu Sandton is equipped with a fitness centre, 24-hour front desk, restaurant and bar/lounge, a full-service spa, room service, airport shuttle, laundry facilities and concierge services. A few places that are in and around the area – Johannesburg Stock Exchange (6-minute walk), Sandton Convention Centre (9-minute walk), Sandton City Mall (11-minute walk), JSE (6-minute walk) and Nelson Mandela Square (9-minute walk)
Be sure to contact AccomoDirect.com when pursuing a hotel to stay at that would be most desirable to you, whether for business or pleasure. With over 20,000 listings, 10,000 reviews and 2,000 locations, you’ll definitely find a hotel to suit all your travel needs.
*Full Disclosure – This is a trade exchange post. However, everything mentioned in this post is my own opinion and I stand firmly behind it.