1. Hands up if you hate applying a thick, rich moisturiser to your skin during the warmer months. I love nothing more than wearing this gel moisturiser before applying my makeup. My skin feels light and intensely hydrated after using this fast-absorbing gel. What more do you need or want? The new Neutrogena Hydro Boost range is specially designed to boost water levels in the skin and strengthen its moisture barrier to leave skin smooth, supple and glowing. This range showcases a unique Hyaluronic Gel Matrix which creates an effective hydration reservoir with a progressive release system that continuously delivers hydration throughout the day. The ‘Water Gel’ (pictured above) is formulated for normal skins and the ‘Gel-Cream’ variant is better suited for very dry skins. R155 at Foschini.
2. In case you weren’t aware, LUSH has this nifty little recycling system where if you bring back 5 empty black pots you qualify for a FREE face mask of your picking. Now, if you haven’t tried one of LUSH face masks yet then you’re doing yourself an injustice. The LUSH fresh face masks are packed full of fresh fruit, vegetables, butters, clays and essential oils. I recently popped into their new Pretoria (Menlyn) branch and after returning my used black tubs I was afforded the opportunity to select a mask from their selection. I didn’t hesitate. I selected my favourite LUSH mask – Catastrophe Cosmetic. This deep-cleansing, nutrient-rich blueberry mask does wonders for problematic skin. This smurf-like concoction is blended with calamine, rose absolute and chamomile blue oil to soothe redness, irritation and cleanse your skin. It washes off easier than any mask I’ve used before and immediately helps combat sensitive, troublesome skin issues. R160 (75g) at LUSH stores.
3. The Max Factor Lipfinity Long Lasting lipsticks are infused with antioxidant vitamin E and nourishing natural oils. They feel fantastically creamy on your lips and the shades are bold and relatively long-lasting. They have great colour payoff and in actual fact, they feel like you’re applying a lip balm packed full of colour. R169.95 at selected Clicks stores
4. When I look back at old photos of myself and my brows I cringe a bit. No, not because they were badly shaped or over/under plucked. I never used to fill in my eyebrows. Gasp. Shock. Horror. I was lucky enough to be blessed with pretty awesome brows if I have to say so myself. But I do prefer a fuller, darker look and the only way to achieve that is to fill them in with an eyebrow pencil, gel or powder. A bit earlier this year I was sent the MUA Pro-Brow Eyebrow Kit from shoplaboutique.com. The brow kit is meant to help you shape, shade & highlight and comes equipped with a mini brush, mini pair of tweezers, two eyebrow shades, a highlighter and a setting ‘gel’. I’ll be honest, though. I don’t even bother with the gel and highlight. I only focus on the two shades on the top row, which combined create the perfect shade for my medium brown hair. These powders are pigmented and very buildable. I always reach for this kit when I’m in a rush and need to spend as little time as possible on my brows.
5. I left the best for last. If the English language failed me and I could only utter one word to describe this exfoliator it would be ‘Wow’. If dark spots, pigmentation and/or uneven skin tone have become the bane of your existence then this range from Kiehl’s is right down your street. This high-preforming exfoliator effectively cleans and exfoliates dull-looking skin, helping to reveal a brighter, healthier complexion. Without fail, this gentle-on-your-skin exfoliator leaves my skin feeling refreshed, soft, smooth and squeaky clean. I’ve noticed a vast difference is the texture of my skin after using it for over a month now. The two main ingredients are White Birch and Peony Extract – the former increases skin elasticity levels and the latter facilitate the reversal of discoloration for skin clarity. R650 at Kiehl’s.