1. When I was younger (think 13-year old Chicara) all I wanted was straight hair. My natural hair is best described as a curly, misshapen mess. I never wear it air-dried. I always take the time to blow wave my hair into a style and even when I wear it curly, I blow wave it straight and then I curl it. But enough about my hair routine. Let’s discuss the L’Oreal Elvive Keratin Straight range. Let’s talk about how impressive this range is. It leaves my hair silky soft and smooth, smelling divine and best of all – straight. L’Oreal combined black cumin oil and micro keratin to create these hair polishing products. Not only is my hair straighter and smoother, it’s also more manageable. Shampoo (R69.95), Conditioner (R69.95) and oil replacement (R84.95) at Clicks.
2. There’s no question about it – two of my favourite ‘everyday’ smells definitely include cinnamon and petrol. Not together, of course! This cinnamon & coconut body scrub from Caribbean Tan is my new favourite thing. From the scent to its texture to its ‘scrubbiness’, I could go on for days. My skin has honestly never felt softer. This works like a charm on legs and the oil-base moisturises while it exfoliates all your dry skin away. I will keep repurchasing this forever. Slight exaggeration? Nope. FOREVER! Currently on special at Clicks for R39.95 (until 23 October)
3. Urban Decay says it best – ‘You look better naked’. I couldn’t agree more. I don’t even need to work on my fitness to wear this. Well, maybe just a couple of eye rolls here and there. It feels like the Urban Decay makeup gods heard my prayers and created the ultimate palette just for me. All 12 shades are matte. Yes! Matte. Now if only they’d included ‘Buck’ and ‘Naked’. Hmmm. However, there are more than enough shades to make my heart very happy. With the Urban Decay Naked Ultimate Basics Palette, you can expect to see the usual, buttery-soft textures and phenomenal colour payoff. The cutest part? That little brush which is nothing to sneeze at. I’ll be posting a full review (with swatches) very soon, but in the meantime, you can go get your hands on one at their online pop-up store. R850 online and at the Urban Decay store next week
4. When it comes to fragrances just go ahead and call me Miss fussy pants. I can count on one hand the number of perfume scents I actually like, let alone love. However, when the Gucci Bamboo perfume recently landed on my beauty desk it was love at first sniff. An ultra-feminine blend of exotic florals and deep woody notes -top notes of bergamot, heart notes of Casablanca lily & ylang-ylang extra-comoros and base notes of sandalwood. Scent ‘tastes’ are completely subjective, but if you don’t already own or know this perfume and you love a soft, feminine fragrance that isn’t too sweet then Bamboo might be right up your alley. 30ml (R1,005), 50ml (R1,400) and 75ml (R1,790) at Red Square
5. Bikini season is upon us and you know what that means. It’s time to haul out the weed wacker and go to town on your legs and bikini line. But, all jokes aside, it is indeed time to trim your ‘hedges’. This is where the Schick Hydro Silk® TrimStyle® razor comes into play. I say ‘play’ because that’s exactly what you’re able to do with the bikini trimmer attachment. Have a bit of fun. What’s your style? A heart? A star? Or perhaps just something a bit more classic? Whatever your personal preference, this five-blade razor and built-in bikini trimmer will help you achieve it. The razor gives you a super close shave, it’s non-irritating on sensitive skin and the razor cartridge contains a hypoallergenic, water-activated moisturising serum which is infused with Shea butter and helps the razor glide over your skin with ease. The whole ‘contraption’ is waterproof, runs off (and comes with) one AAA battery and is incredibly easy to use. R199.95 at leading retailers nationwide.